Prepare for your future: join the International Foundation Year at Jacobs University!
Planning and preparing for your academic future is an important step. This is why Jacobs University has developed the International Foundation Year.
Jacobs University’s International Foundation Year is an academic preparatory program, enabling young students from all over the world to enhance their English language capabilities, develop study skills appropriate to a Higher Education environment and acclimate to living and studying in another country and cultural context very different from their own.
The program will provide you with tailored academic and personal support for your individual development and prepare you for the challenges of university-level study. In addition to building your academic knowledge and skills, the program will boost your confidence and provide you with essential lifelong soft, professional, and personal skills.
The right pathway for you
Our International Foundation Year offers you two pathways to a degree program at Jacobs University. Depending on your individual goals and at what stage you are in deciding your future degree, you can choose between the Orientation or Focused pathway:
- Focused pathway: allows you to study subject-specific modules and build the foundation of knowledge that gives a head start on the academic skills needed in your chosen degree program
- Orientation pathway: allows you to explore a variety of modules in order to get an insight to make the right undergraduate study program choice
Through a combination of core modules and subject-specific study, you will develop the skills you need to succeed at university. Our program offers you five different subject areas to choose from that act as a pathway to a degree at Jacobs University. Whether engineering, computer science, economics, management, natural-, life- or social sciences – you can choose from a broad academic portfolio.
Find your “home away from home”
Students lovingly call the campus “the bubble” – an international English-language microcosm in the middle of Germany, where you will live and learn with students from over 100 countries.
After a semester at Jacobs, every corner of campus will be connected to a fond memory. Be it the group of seats at the corner of the quiet study area where you spent an entire night working hard, laughing with your friends and ordering pizza at 3 a.m. Be it the small hills on Campus Green that you and your friends used for sledding down on cafeteria trays when the first snow had fallen in winter. Be it the tree in front of your college, where you hang up your first Bulgarian friendship bracelet for luck.
Living and learning on campus means that your friends will soon feel like family and that the campus will become a new home away from home.
How to Apply
Our rolling admission process allows you to apply to the International Foundation Year at Jacobs University all year round! The earlier you apply, the earlier you will receive your admission decision, typically within 2 to 4 weeks of application submission.
- Fall intake: application deadline to join our Fall intake is usually mid-June for students who need a visa to study in Germany and beginning of August for those who don’t. The program starts beginning of September.
- Spring intake: application deadline to join our Spring intake is usually mid-October for students who need a visa to study in Germany and beginning of December for those who don’t. The program starts mid-January.
Finances & Services
All International Foundation Year students live and learn on our spacious and vibrant campus. The total cost of the program is € 29,000. This amount includes all costs associated with the program, including tuition fees, room and board, a semester ticket for local transportation, exam fees, and the following benefits:
- Academic advising for a smooth transition to higher education
- SAT test preparation and registration
- Residential colleges with modern rooms
- In-college cafeterias with board included
- Fully equipped recreation center and multimedia rooms
- Orientation week to facilitate your Jacobs University arrival
- Host-family program
- Individual support
- 24/7 campus security service
Please feel free to contact us if you have any questions.
WhatsApp: +49 151 142 67 805 | Phone: +49 421 200 4313